Sr Database Administrator - (Job Number: SEC00252-10)
Location: Vancouver , BC
About the Job
TELUS Corporation is a leading national telecommunications company in Canada providing data, Internet Protocol (IP), voice, wireless communications services, entertainment and video. We provide and integrate a full range of communications products and services that connect Canadians to the world.
TELUS is also a great place to work. You can see it in our team members. At TELUS we believe the diversity of our team is a significant competitive advantage and we value the contribution and worth of each and every team member. We work together, unified by our respect for each other, the TELUS values and the pursuit of our business strategy. Diversity and inclusiveness thrives when we honour the traditions, beliefs, lifestyles and perspectives of all members of our team.
Our team members include people like you - enthusiastic, innovative, passionate and energetic. We believe that you'll find our high-performance culture personally fulfilling, professionally challenging and financially rewarding. Join our team and make your future friendly too.
Provides 24x7 Tier II operational support for a variety of RDBM systems in all environments supported by the Business Transformation team. Responsibilities include database tuning, implementing and testing upgrades, patches and scripts, implementing backup and recovery strategies, developing documentation, providing technical support and resolving incidents and performance problems. Works on small to mid-size projects using generally-defined practices, solving diverse problems with some instruction from peers and other teams.
The responsibilities include:
* Provide monitoring and troubleshooting support of enterprise databases, including performance enhancement and root cause analysis.
* Develop standards relating to RDBMS technology, architecture and processes (security, performance, backup and recovery, etc.).
* Test and Implement RDBMS patches and upgrades.
* Implement database security features (e.g. roles, privileges, authentication, encryption).
* Support RDBMS design and/or appropriate configuration changes from logical designs, new installations for medium to large sized projects. Solve database issues encountered in software development. Maintain a strong level of understanding of relevant application functionality and impacts to the database.
* Manage database physical storage and structures. Control system resources usage and perform capacity planning.
* Develop, tests and implement backup and recovery strategies and processes.
* Provide technical mentorship and support for other DBA roles (I and II) and peer functional groups.
* Understand database technologies and other interfacing technologies (e.g. middle tier, message broker, web).
* Demonstrated skills in using databases monitoring tools like Enterprise Manager Grid Control, AWR and Statspack.
* Knowledge in RMAN enterprise backup and restore system
Required Skills & Abilities:
* Good communication skills - written and verbal - in both technical and non-technical environments .
* Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills.
* Ability to learn technical concepts and new technologies quickly .
* Familiar with basic networking, common programming languages, various hardware platforms and operating systems (e.g. Sun Solaris, HP UNIX, Linux, Windows NT).
* Effective interpersonal and organizational skills working within cross-Functional teams Takes initiative, self-directed.
Required Professional Designation/Certification:
University Degree or Post Secondary Diploma, preferably in Computer Science or Engineering
7+ years of Database management experience using Oracle 9,10, 11 RDBMS in large environments. Candidates experienced in Oracle RAC and SQL Server preferred.
TELUS recognizes and embraces the importance of values in our ever-changing workplace. To be successful, all applicants must demonstrate behaviours that are reflective of our values:
- We embrace change and initiate opportunity
- We have a passion for growth
- We believe in spirited teamwork
- We have the courage to innovate
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.