Oracle Database Analyst, SUN LIFE ASSURANCE COMPANY OF CANADA
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Posted Dec 9, 2010 1 Position(s)
Oracle Database Analyst - INF02203
You believe life is about aiming high and making an impact. At Sun Life Financial, we work together, share common values and help each other grow and achieve goals.
With roots tracing back to 1865 in Canada, Sun Life Financial has grown to become an established and trusted name in insurance and financial services, with offices and operations in key markets around the world. We recognize that our growth, success and reputation for excellence are due in large measure to our talented and dedicated employees.
Enterprise Services, Working better together.
Our teams are dedicated to providing the services and technology our business partners need to help customers achieve lifetime financial security. Through innovation and collaboration, we're striving to continually find new and better ways to bring value to Sun Life. Enterprise Services has employees in Canada, Ireland, the U.S. and Asia. We partner closely with groups and individuals throughout Sun Life Financial to provide products and services that deliver business value.
As part of the Oracle Data Base Services Team within Data Management Services, responsible for full DBA support of Sun Life Oracle Applications including vendor packages such as Oracle Financials and Siebel as well as in-house developed applications. Responsibilities may extend beyond traditional DBA realm to provide infrastructure support for peripheral components such as Oracle Forms and Reports, Oracle Warehouse Builder, Discoverer, and Optim Archive Tool.
- Design, implement, and maintain complex Oracle databases to support large data warehouse and complex online applications
- Monitor and tune physical databases and provide guidance on SQL tunings to developers
- Perform data migration and database cloning
- Ensure all necessary database maintenance and utilities are run to achieve smooth operations of the applications
- Deploy automation where applicable for day-to-day operations
- Adhere to Sun Life standards and implement security in compliance with the SOX and audit requirements
- Perform database changes and code promotions according to Sun Life change management process
- Contribute to the systems development process by providing technical support, training and guidelines for the database management system environment under general guidance
- Assist application developers with data-related components of the development cycle, particularly logical & physical database design
- Work closely with database technology and other team member and contribute to develop and improve strategies and standards, guidelines, and procedures for the Oracle database products
- Exploit database productivity tools to perform database services functions and automate process when appropriate
- Contribute to team work and to providing service excellence
- Keep abreast of the latest technical developments by continuous review of technical literature and regular attendance at appropriate seminars and conferences
- Participate in disaster recovery testing
- Install, patch, and maintain infrastructure of Oracle Financial application and technology stack as necessary
- Perform software and security upgrades to Oracle Financial application, databases, and software components as necessary
- Provide rotation on-call support on the supported databases and applications
- Strong Knowledge of Oracle database on Sun Solaris platform
- Practical experience with SQL tuning and database monitoring
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication and team building skill are essentials
- Candidate must work well in a fast-paced, changing environment and be able to manage multiple tasks, projects, and initiatives all with different priorities at the same time
- Candidate must possess a genuine desire to provide service excellence to our I/T customers
- Must demonstrate proven ability to analyze problems, propose solutions, and drive issues to resolution
- Candidate must be able to adapt to new procedures as well as contribute ideas to streamline processes
- Must be results oriented, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for own actions
- Must work well in team environment and adhere to Sun Life process and procedures
- Knowledge and practical experience of Oracle Financials, Siebel application is an asset
- Knowledge and practical experience of Oracle technology stack such as Oracle warehouse builders, Oracle forms and reports, Oracle Discoverer, and Oracle workflow is an asset
- Knowledge of IBM Optim archive tool is an asset
- Knowledge and practical experience with Zeke scheduling system is an asset
- Knowledge of Unix Scripting
- Oracle DBA Certification for 10G and higher
- Experience with databases 500 GB plus
Sun Life Financial promotes equal opportunity employment.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please visit us at www.sunlife.ca
Like to hear what some of our employees have to say about "Working at Sun Life"?
Check us out at: www.youtube.com/sunlifefinancial
Workopolis Job Category
: CA-ON-Toronto - GTA