Database Analyst - Montreal, Toronto or Waterloo, SUN LIFE ASSURANCE COMPANY OF CANADA
Kitchener, ON, CANADA; Montreal, QC, CANADA; Toronto, ON, CANADA; Waterloo, ON, CANADA
Posted Jan 26, 2011 1 Position(s)
Database Analyst - Montreal, Toronto or Waterloo - BUS00473
You believe life is about aiming high and making an impact. At Sun Life Financial, we work together, share common values and help each other grow and achieve goals.
With roots tracing back to 1865 in Canada, Sun Life Financial has grown to become an established and trusted name in insurance and financial services, with offices and operations in key markets around the world. We recognize that our growth, success and reputation for excellence are due in large measure to our talented and dedicated employees.
The candidate will be a member of the Mainframe Database Services team within the Data Management Services department. The primary goal of the team is to provide DB2 and IMS database administration support to various Canadian and US applications. The role will also provide the opportunity to work on infrastructure projects and other peripheral technologies
We are looking for a dynamic and motivated individual to play an integral part in our team's mission to provide high quality database administration support to our clients. Our clients depend on mainframe databases for a number of their key applications and this dependency is expected to continue well into the foreseeable future.
- Create new database objects or modify existing ones as requested by the client
- Take appropriate steps to ensure that databases are available as per service level agreements
- Take appropriate steps to ensure database integrity
- Take appropriate steps to ensure proper database recoverability (onsite and offsite)
- Take appropriate steps to ensure that database performance meets client demands (proactive and reactive monitoring)
- Pursue opportunities to reduce processing costs as appropriate
- Take appropriate steps to ensure proper capacity planning
- Assist with security setup and audit requirements
- Assist with data archiving, data masking and test data creation
- Review database design and make recommendations regarding logical to physical model implementations
- Provide support to developers with regards to database topics (SQL-queries, IMS DLI calls, tools usage etc)
- Review new database or related tool features and make recommendations for exploitation
- Assume an active role in improving current processes or finding innovative new solutions to known problems
- Maintain up-to-date documentation of all supported applications and standard procedures
- Ensure proper adherence to standards and change management policies
- Participate in on-call support rotation
- Participate in after-hours or weekend support of production implementations, infrastructure testing activities and various disaster recovery exercises as required
- Candidate will need to go through the government security clearance process
- Degree in Computer Science or related technology degree/diploma, or equivalent experience
- 2 to 5 years of mainframe DB2 and/or IMS database administration experience
- Bilingualism (French and English)
- Preferred technical skill sets
- Experience with DB2 database management tools (experience with CA DB2 tools suite would be preferred)
- Experience with coding and running reorganization and backup/recovery utilities
- Knowledge of JCL (Job Control Language)
- Ability to write complex SQL statements
- Experience with DBRC
- Experience with partition IMS databases PHIDAM & PHDAM
- Ability to code IMS DL/I calls
- Experience with IMS monitoring tools such as Omegamon and DB2 monitoring tools such as CA's Detector
- Windows office (word, excel, powerpoint)
- Lotus Notes
- Useful additional technical skill sets
- Experience with Optim data masking and date archive tools
- Experience with COBOL, PL/I, SAS, NOMAD or REXX languages
- Experience with MQ
- Experience with DB2-connect
- Preferred soft skills
- Self motivation
- Goal oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
Sun Life Financial promotes equal opportunity employment.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Follow us at twitter.com/SunLifeCareers.
Like to hear what some of our employees have to say about "Working at Sun Life"?
Check us out at
Workopolis Job Category
: CA-ON-Kitchener/Waterloo, CA-ON-Toronto - GTA