Senior Architect, Technology - Standard Life Canada
Senior Architect, Technology, STANDARD LIFE CANADA
Montreal, QC, CANADA
To be successful in this role, the incumbent must establish roadmaps for bringing the Company closer to its target architecture while respecting long-term and tactical objectives. Designs technology architecture to optimally support the activities of Standard Life. Participates in the initial stages of major projects to identify their directions and ensure their proper integration within the Enterprise Architecture. Remains continually aware of technical and business-related infrastructure issues, acting as a consultant and helping to develop creative solutions.
- Applies the Enterprise Architecture perspective to all infrastructure and application development projects.
- Works on opportunity analysis and studies when they are assigned.
- Participates in the RFP process.
- Participates in the preliminary analysis stage of projects.
- Determines the roadmap for achieving our long-term objectives.
- Maintains a balance between tactical and strategic visions to ensure the proper recommendations are made.
- Stays abreast of business and technology strategies to provide value-added expertise and allow for the elaboration of pertinent architectures.
- Performs monitoring to identify and evaluate technological opportunities and directions.
- Provides input to the tactical planning process.
- Participates in the development of the Enterprise Architecture.
- Assists the analysis and translation of business strategies’ plans and requirements into IT support directions and standards.
- Promotes the adherence to Enterprise methodologies and standards.
- Creates and maintains current and target architectural designs, as well as the strategy for transitioning from one to the other.
- Recommends appropriate courses of action to developers/technicians and management on technical and infrastructural issues.
- Proactively recommends courses of action to maintain cost effectiveness and competitiveness.
- Assesses the viability of current information systems and recommends appropriate solutions, where appropriate.
- Identifies required platform and development tool changes and weighs their associated risks against their benefits and evolution potential.
- Maximizes component reutilization across projects.
- Participates with project teams in the initial stages of projects to:
- Ensure proposed development efforts are aligned with the Corporate Architecture and Enterprise orientations and to report any deviations;
- Evaluate functional and operational requirements to design technical architecture targets;
- Identify project standards;
- Review and approve overall application architecture and key deliverables;
- Provide support and guidance during the implementation stage.
- Works with the Operations department:
- Reviews operationalization proposals, software and tool selection and integration;
- Provides support and expertise to operationalization project management.
- University degree in Computer Science, equivalent education or equivalent work experience.
- At least 15 years of experience, including four years in technology architecture.
- Clear verbal and written English and French communication skills.
- Ability to interact with Management and Technology Specialists.
- Ability to perform technological development case-related cost analysis and financial models.
- General knowledge of operating systems (Z/OS, Unix, Windows, VMWare) and storage technologies.
- General knowledge of data networks. Knowledge of call centre technology and telephone systems is not required, but will be considered an asset.
- General knowledge of development tools (such as EE compilers, transaction servers and middleware) and databases (Oracle, DB2 and SQL-Server).
Click here to apply for this job
Last updated on March 10, 2011