Database/System Administrator - Canadian Bank Note Company
More Database and SAP Jobs in Ottawa , Ontario
Canadian Bank Note Company -
CBN was established in 1897 to supply security-printed products to the Canadian government, which it has done continuously ever since. The supply of Canadian currency, passports and postage stamps are three important activities entrusted to the Company; DBMS
: Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL ; Past job postings: Database/System Administrator
; Career Opportunities
Reports To: Director, Information Services
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
As the Database Administrator on the Tier3 System Management team, you will manage, tune, maintain & troubleshoot the production, development & test databases that support our mission-critical applications. The DBA will provide technical design, development & proactive maintenance of databases & the associated files to ensure accessibility, security & integrity of company data. This candidate will be responsible for database performance and capacity monitoring, tuning, planning, disaster recovery, system backup/recovery, audit readiness, data structure tuning, problem resolution & all administration related to the database environment. This role will also have some systems management responsibilities including managing of end-to-end system hardware and operating systems, as required.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Support all daily operational activities relating to database management and administration
- Assist the software development, technical support and systems management teams in system design and troubleshooting.
- Monitor and tune the Databases for optimal performance.
- Assist with impact analysis of any changes proposed to database schema and/or objects.
- Manage and maintain system documentation, capacity management, plans, performance management plans, and disaster recovery plans.
- Partake in equal share of After-Hours on-call support. Includes both systems and database management oversight.
- Conduct Systems Acceptance Testing. Review and approve system change requests.
- Perform hardware installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair as necessary
- Maintain IT Security Audit Readiness
- Perform software installations, upgrades and patches.
- University Degree (minimum 3 year) in Computer Systems, Engineering or an equivalent combination of Education and relevant Experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Suse Linux and Windows Server
- Experienced with installation, management and tuning of one or more Database Platforms (ie. Oracle, Microsoft, MySQL).
- Understanding of Database Administration best practices (e.g. Schema management, index optimization, backup/recover methods)
- Understanding and ability to apply Database environment performance tuning principles.
- Generalized understanding and exposure to all major DBMS components (ie. Optimizers, replication, clustering, backup, performance tuning tools, etc).
- Strong commitment to 24x7 environment monitoring and on-call rotation schedule.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Experience in tightly securing the DBMS and databases. Experience with Security Audits.
- Experience implementing and managing clustered/failover environments.
- Some knowledge and experience with Application/Web Servers (ie. Tomcat, IIS, Apache, etc)
- Comfortable and understands importance of solid system documentation.
- Proven track record of demonstrating initiative, reliability, productivity and multitasking
- Must possess excellent communication skills
- Must possess a valid Canadian security clearance (secret)
- Ability to lead technical projects.
Last updated on June 25, 2011