The York School is an independent, co-educational International Baccalaureate K-12 school in mid-town Toronto and requires an experienced database person to take a lead role in managing the school's data systems. This person will support the administrative staff in their database use and work collaboratively as a member of the I.T. department. The school offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. Duties are to begin immediately.
The database manager is responsible for the efficient maintenance of all the school's databases, including the security and integrity of the data in collaboration with the network administrator. The school currently uses a custom-developed Filemaker SIS, but may in the future make a transition to another system. This person will work closely with the administrative team to manage data and also with academic leaders to complete student scheduling. He/she will report to the Director of Information Technology and will be expected to assist in other technology-related issues when the need arises.
Specific duties will include:
· Managing the school's custom-developed Filemaker Student Information System. This system includes admissions data; student personal and medical information; attendance; reporting, a custom markbook, and a variety of other modules.
· Preparation of student and staff schedules using Serco Facility (CMIS) Scheduling software in consultation with the school's academic leaders, as well as the transfer of this information to the Filemaker SIS. Scheduling will include setting up supervision and duty rosters, and monitoring course enrollments and option sheets.
· Supporting the Advancement Office's use of the Blackbaud, Raisers' Edge database.
· Assisting the Student Services Department in their use of Naviance and taking responsibility for the submission of data to the Ministry of Education and Universities (ONSIS, OEN, EQAO and OUAC).
· Setting up and maintaining data for the school's emergency contact system.
· Assisting the website administrator in the maintenance of data for the school's portal.
· Preparation of data for the set up of Parent-Teacher interview schedules approximately three times a year, using Pick-a-time scheduling software.
· Preparation of government reports of student information as required.
· Creating documentation and operational guidelines for databases as needed.
· Supporting academic and non-academic staff in their database use.
· Creating scripts to automate tasks, and assisting with development of clear operational procedures.
· Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
The successful applicant must:
· Have successfully completed a post-secondary degree or diploma in Computer Science.
· Be a certified SQL administrator.
· Have a minimum of 3 - 5 years in a database administration or manager position.
· Possess qualifications in Filemaker administration/development.
· Have experience in Microsoft Win 2008 server and active directory structure.
· Be a proficient and experienced Excel user.
As well, experience with the following would be a definite asset:
Experience in creating a high-school timetable.
Experience in using Serco Facility Scheduler (formerly known as Facility CMIS)
Knowledge of Linux.
Experience in supporting Blackboard and/or Moodle, or other on-line course management system.
The successful applicant must be prepared to work both independently and collaboratively to ensure the data needs of the school are reliably met. Some experience in an educational environment would be an asset, but is not a requirement.
The successful applicant should possess:
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Desire and ability to learn new applications.
- Initiative and an interest in life-long learning.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- The ability to work calmly under pressure when required and to complete tasks according to deadlines.
Interested applicants should e-mail a covering letter and resume to:
Judy Amsterdam, Human Resources Co-ordinator at The York School at
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.