Reports To: Manager Data Management and Reporting
Responsibility Statement: Manage Thomas Cook databases.
Key Results and Activities:
Effectively manage databases
· Take responsibility for company's primary MSSQL server databases
· Support other databases and applications including Oracle, Informix, mySQL and postgreSQL.
· Perform backups , restores , manage user roles and quotas on the databases
· Do routine maintenance including database rebuilds, re-indexing and file expansions
· Diagnose and repair database problems. Manage escalation to vendors.
· Anticipate and take preemptive measures where necessary to ensure performance and uptime.
· Manage multiple application development and support environments.
· Manage data warehouses and ETL.
· Evaluate, recommend and implement patches and upgrades on databases.
· Research and recommend tools, policies, procedures that will facilitate, improve service delivery while reducing the cost.
· Support projects by providing technical documentation, impact analysis, installations, data loading, conversions, testing, etc.
· Create and/or maintain tools , scripts, programs, packages, reports and functions as required
· Liaise with vendors and suppliers where necessary to obtain services and support.
· Other tasks as assigned.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills, Attributes Required:
· Competence in MSSQL database administration
· Strong database programming skills - stored procedures, triggers etc
· Well-developed problem solving and analytical skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Good interpersonal and team skills.
· Must be self motivated and show initiative
· Must have a record of excellence
· Requires proven ability to grasp and use new information , data and concepts
· Must be above to deliver results when under pressure
· Must be able to multi-task, set priorities and meet timelines.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
· University Degree or equivalent in Computer Science
· Experience administering MSSQL server databases
· Experience with administering Oracle or other application server technology and asset
· Windows scripting is an asset.
· Office environment
· Overtime work will be required
· Required to share on/call pager duties