Check out the Top 5 Reasons to Work at Softchoice!
Softchoice is a leading North American provider of IT solutions and services and one of Canada’s Best Workplaces™ five years and running. With a network of more than 40 local sales offices supported by five regional call centers, we work with partners like Microsoft, HP and IBM to manage the technology needs of more than 19,000 small, mid-market, enterprise and public sector organizations.
Our commitment to service and to delivering strategic advice in person has resulted in consistent, above-market growth. Whether providing efficient, low-cost technology fulfillment, or advanced solution design and implementation, we’re helping organizations everywhere harness the power of innovation.
The Database adminisrator is to ensure continuous service, manage escalations and incidents, ensure adequate controls and security of environment and process. The role will include performing availability/capacity management and reporting on critical servers and applications.
- Assume all maintenance and support of SQL Servers including failover. Does not include physical hardware.
- Assume all maintenance and support of SSIS batches
- Measure failure rate of SSIS batches. Review the architecture and recommend improvements for reducing failure rate. Implement improvements within 6 months.
- Establish baseline performance of SQL for website and Microsoft CRM database servers. Perform SQL tuning to improve performance.
- Assume all responsibility for installing SQL Server stored code and schema changes.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date procedures manuals for installing, maintenance tasks and failover.
- Assist developers in troubleshooting SQL Server queries.
- Install, configure and cloning of various SQL Server development, testing and production environments
- Provide capacity planning for the SQL Server Databases
- Work closely with functional end users and development team to support implemented Applications, Development Tools, and 3rd party solutions.
- Provide on-call support.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Diploma, or equivalent experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively;
- Ability to learn and apply new skills and/or techniques in a fast-paced and changing environment;
- ITIL training and experience an asset
- Highly customer service oriented
- 2+ years of experience in managing SQL Server Databases
- SSRS experience is an asset
- Experience with MS CRM is a plus
- Experience in Configuration Management and Change Control from Development to Testing and Production environment.
- Experience in backup and recovery strategies.
- Willing to work in flexible hours and working environments.
- Ability to initiate a project and follow it through to conclusion.
- Should possess ability to identify and resolve performance issues.
- Team player who has customer focus and brings expertise to the team.
- Strong Analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Unix/Linux administration experience is a plus.
- Experience writing and maintaining reports
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced implementation environment.
- Standard hours are 9:00-5:30PM.
- Occasional evenings and/or weekends may be required
- All work is to be conducted on-site, unless otherwise requested by a manager or supervisor.
We would like to thank you personally for applying to Softchoice.
Please note that we will review your application and only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted directly. However, we will retain your application on file and would be pleased to contact you if further opportunities arise.
Again, thank you for your interest in a career at Softchoice!