|A little bit about us:
SkyWave Mobile Communications is a global player with vision and experience. Established in 1997, we are a profitable and growing Canadian-based company with over 150 employees and strong industry partnerships.
SkyWave offers affordable satellite communication terminals and network services to track and monitor mobile and fixed assets in various industries for security, management and communications applications. As an Inmarsat partner, we offer reliable and stable global network coverage and competitive network services.
As one of the top three (3) companies in the world in the sales and service of two-way satellite telematics products and network services, our focus is international. Today we run a worldwide satellite network with over 400 distributors in more than 75 countries and we have shipped over 400,000 terminals worldwide.
For more information, check our website at www.skywave.com.
A little bit about the role:
SkyWave currently has an opening for a Systems Engineer in our Network Operations Group which is responsible for the management of our distributed satellite based data communications network consisting of redundant satellite hub equipment located at multiple international locations. In this junior to intermediate level role, the successful candidate will be part of a team responsible for:
- Proactively defining and implementing monitoring strategies to necessary to ensure 99.999 percent availability
- Providing routine software and hardware maintenance and operational support for application, OS and third party software
- Leading all elements of hands-on systems administration, including definition and implementation of processes and policies
- Establishing and maintaining daily system / application activity logs
- Performing ongoing system analysis to ensure adequate system capacity and performance
- Providing system / server performance tuning where appropriate and necessary
- Ensuring appropriate application and system data is being backed up as required
- Ensuring network and system documentation is as accurate and detailed as possible
- Multi-tasking several critical tasks/projects with minimal supervision
- Assessing and implementing ongoing audit and security requirements through the utilization of standard Change Management processes
- Developing, documenting and maintaining Windows/Linux standards and best practices
- Managing and configuring network services including DNS, DHCP and IP routing configurations
We are looking for candidates with a passion for technology, specifically in the areas identified above that are able to see things from a whole-system perspective, while dealing with the details. The successful incumbent will be a true team player and must demonstrate expertise in many of the following areas:
- Server, router and firewall administration
- Linux, Windows & HP UX server administration
- IP routing expertise
- MySQL, Oracle, Sybase & MS SQL Database Administration experience
- backup, recovery, organization of databases, performance tuning, installations, connectivity and security.
- high-end database, operating systems, and client/server development concepts
Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to deal with constantly changing requirements and priorities are required. Superior organizational skills and communication skills including the willingness to voice opinions in a constructive/confident manner are a must, and the ability to communicate with all levels of executive/senior staff and external vendors/sub-contractors are critical to the success of this role. Candidates are also required to have outstanding orientation to details as this is a high impact position within our organization.
Researching issues, analyzing problems, determining approaches, compiling data and preparing reports are part of everyday functions in this role and as such interfacing with and coordinating activities between various internal departments is required. Work is generally of a critical, time sensitive nature.
Due to the international nature of our company’s business, this position requires flexible irregular working hours. The successful incumbent will be required to respond to after-hours network emergencies as required, and will carry a pager occasionally as part of a response team. Candidates are also required to travel internationally as required (<20%).
At SkyWave, we believe that our people are our strength. Our success stems from our ability to attract and retain the best people who deliver a high level of performance and skill. It is their commitment, talents, and knowledge that drive our success. It is also these values that make SkyWave a great place to work and learn every day.
If you are looking for a challenging career and the opportunity to be in an established, successful and high growth company that mainly focuses in the international market, SkyWave is the ideal place for you. Come join our team and make a career choice that is both challenging and rewarding. Apply today via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to employment equity. SkyWave would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise them that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.