Senior Unix Administrator -
Senior Unix Administrator, SYMCOR INC.
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Posted Apr 1, 2011 1 Position(s)
Senior Unix Administrator-TEC100448
Symcor is one of North America's largest and growing business outsourcing companies. We were formed in 1996 to capitalize on the efficiencies of bringing together the item processing operations of three of Canada's largest financial institutions. Today, we provide a variety of industries with the following services: physical and electronic check processing, payment processing, statement production and document management.
As we continue to expand and drive the industry forward we look for top talent to bring forth new ideas, advanced skills and a collaborative work ethic. With multiple large-scale projects in the works our employees have unique opportunities to further develop their skills and pursue their career objectives. We'll help you pioneer your successes and accomplishments.
Purpose: The Senior UNIX administrator must perform all UNIX administrative functions and coordinate all activities to provide the least disruption to production application availability. Working with other C&NS teams to implement, maintain, change and problem diagnosis of all UNIX systems in the Symcor data center(s).
- Follow and comply with ITIL process
- Reviewing and recommending on Unix infrastructure architect designed by CTO office
- Ability to work on multiple large projects concurrently
- Participate in the problem identification/resolution and root cause analysis process for Unix infrastructure.
- As an escalation resource, assist in determining failing component and execute problem determination and resolution actions to minimize outage impacts to production environment.
- Work with other specialists to integrate, test, and maintain the reliability of the monitoring, management, and automation systems and facilities assuring high levels of availability and optimization.
- Provide mentorship and continuously collaborate with peer Unix Systems Administrators, Operations, and Vendors regarding opportunities for improving monitoring, management, and automation capabilities to support business change, efficiencies, and problem prevention.
- Actively pursue issue and incident trends to reduce resolution times on common issues by providing tools, tips and techniques, or permanent fixes to reduce call-outs.
- Ability to engage across division boundaries where necessary to resolve problems and design solutions; ability to understand holistic view of complex infrastructure ecosystems.
- Excellent technical knowledge of the features/functionality and utilities of ancillary related technologies such as networking.
- Works well under pressure and time constraints and can prioritize competing priorities appropriately.
- Provide technical mentorship, knowledge and expertise.
- Operating Systems and server support, problem resolution, performance monitoring and tuning, system management and monitoring.
- Create, debug, enhance monitoring scripts/tools for operations, and applications.
- Disaster recovery and BCP planning, design, and execution.
- Maintain an inventory of system infrastructure components (server hardware, software licenses, maintenance agreements)
- Shell scripting and application integration, configuration, system support and tuning (ie. for Oracle, DB2).
- 10 Years Unix administrator in an environment with more than 50 Unix Servers.
- AIX, Linux, Solaris Operating System experience.
- Post-secondary with an IT related degree or certification.
- Certified Unix Administrator in AIX, Linux and Solaris.
- Additional vendor certification related to position (ie. Veritas, Tivoli) a plus.
- Flexible work hours, multiple work locations, with requirements for travel.
- Scripting (perl, shell).
- Unix (AIX/Solaris/Linux)
- Scheduling (TWS)
- Architecture knowledge, sizing and specification.
- Performance tuning.
- Outstanding problem determination, troubleshooting, and resolution skills
- Excellent verbal, written communications, and listening skills
- Strong customer service skills and follow-up
- Storage integration and configuration
- Set direction on systems architecture.
We thank all interested candidates for applying; however Symcor will only be contacting those individuals we wish to interview. Your resume will remain in our database and will be considered for other opportunities for a period of 12 months.
Please indicate in your application form how you heard about this opportunity and if a current Symcor Employee is referring you for the position to which you are applying.
Symcor is strongly committed to a diverse workforce reflective of our customers and our communities.
Enterprise Archive & Operations
Last updated on April 17, 2011