For over 30 years, OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan) has been committed to providing quality insurance benefits and advice for the best value. Our dedication to product and service excellence helps us meet the unique needs of Ontario's education employees and our insured members. Working at OTIP means putting our members' needs first. That's why we take care to recruit employees who share both our commitment to service excellence and our dedication to meeting the distinct needs of the education community.
OTIP recognizes that the quality and calibre of employees are critical factors to achieving our vision of "Creating insured members for life". Employee satisfaction is a top priority at OTIP, which is why we're committed to continually enhancing our work environment and developing careers.
BE PROUD OF WHERE YOU WORK
The foundation of our vision and mission is respect, relevance and rewards. These values define how OTIP employees treat each other, our insured members and our business partners. We believe OTIP is a great place to work, offering competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a people oriented work environment.
We are currently seeking the following professional to join our organization.
As a member of our information technology services department, you will be responsible the ongoing successful operation, evolution and data modeling of OTIP's Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle corporate databases and associated data systems. The database administrator (DBA) is responsible for ensuring the databases are properly designed and continually meet application, reporting and business requirements. The DBA works with a team of developers, operations staff, analysts and architects along with business users.
The role consists of equal amounts of database administration, database architecture, and business intelligence and data manipulation activities.
1. Implements and oversees the OTIP corporate data model to ensure data model and data structure implementation are consistent and efficient and remain stable and sustainable. Researches, models and documents data requirements. Models and defines corporate databases to meet short-term and long-term information needs. Maintains data management programs as required.
2. Leads, designs and develops the implementation of data warehouse and business intelligence solutions with the assistance of the chief architect and others on the business systems team.
3. Owns, tracks and resolves database-related incidents and requests. Fulfills requests and resolves incidents within service level agreements (SLAs). Reviews service-related reports (e.g.; database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service-related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs. Responds to database-related alerts and creates strategic solutions to recurring problems.
4. Maintains a service-oriented mentality and a strong sense of ownership of assigned problems and requests. Focuses on managing and resolving issues in alignment with SLAs. Establishes and maintains communication with technology customers to keep them updated on the status of their requests. Initiates and performs changes on production systems and proactively escalate any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
5. Defines and controls data collection and administration policy, security and integrity requirements, and all associated ETL work to support the database structures and data model requirements. Conducts research and offers guidance to other teammates regarding the collection, availability, security and suitability of data.
6. Creates and manages the Microsoft/Oracle database. This includes adding and deleting users, assigning user security to manage privileges and resources, setting up client connections to databases, and maintaining back-up processes and stand-by systems to ensure business continuity.
7. Establishes and maintains the environments, processes and techniques to provide and meet database requirements for development life cycle, including supporting development, test and UAT environments. Enforces and administers change management controls for production.
8. Mentors and assists analysts, developers and operations staff on the effective use and deployment of database systems and related technologies. Participates in a variety of design and development approaches such as Waterfall, Agile and JAD as the database expert. Supports business requirements collection and solution finding exercises to meet business needs.
9. Troubleshoots and supports various systems to ensure data and systems integrity and continuity. Resolves data integrity issues. Ensures the databases meet suitable performance and growth needs. Monitors disk space use, memory utilization and system use to maintain data integrity and performance.
10. Enforces and maintains established policies and procedures related to back-ups, virus control and hard drive maintenance to maintain systems security and disaster prevention and recovery.
11. Performs other duties within competence, as assigned.
1. A university degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
2. A minimum of eight years' experience in a database architect, database administration or database development role.
3. Five years' experience managing an MS SQL Server database environment and ideally two years of experience working with Oracle Databases.
4. Direct project experience in a lead role designing, modeling and implementing corporate data models.
5. Ongoing experience working with ETL technologies and specifically SSIS/DTS.
6. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
7. Insurance experience and associated designations will be considered a highly valued asset.
8. Knowledge of VMware, Microsoft .NET, Visual Studio, Crystal Reports, SharePoint and CRM Dynamics will be considered an asset.
9. Exceptional communication skills and the demonstrated ability to deal effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
10. Strong mentoring, facilitation and collaboration skills.
How to Apply
OTIP offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package. If you are interested in this position, please apply by Friday, June 3, 2011, using the Careers link on www.otip.com.
OTIP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for showing an interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.