(A Division of Harris Computer Systems)
Professional Services – DBA / Environment Consultant
NorthStar Division – Ottawa, ON
OUR TEAM IS GROWING! If you are looking for an opportunity to spread your wings and develop your skills there is lots of exciting things to do here!
NorthStar Utilities Solutions is a unique company that has served the utility community in North America and the Caribbean for more than 30 years. We create brilliant products that make every day in our clients' lives more efficient, productive and cost-effective while being first-to-market with products such as our Meter-Data Management Applications. We pride ourselves on delivering impressive customer service and standing apart as an industry leader and are always on the lookout for people who crave challenges, embrace technology and grasp complex ideas.
The role of the DBA / Environment Consultant is to provide specialized technical consulting services associated with the technical configuration and implementation of NorthStar Solutions. The DBA/Environment Consultant provides technical consulting services to customers’ engagements, configures and installs the NorthStar product portfolio, performs data and server migrations and investigates and resolves issues.
The DBA / Environment Consultant may also be called upon to assist with other NorthStar initiatives by: contributing to the development of business and functional requirements, testing of applications, conducting presentations at user groups and training of other NorthStar colleagues
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The DBA / Environment Consultant will be responsible to:
· Conducts database installation and configuration
· Perform the configuration and setup of databases and implement maintenance plans
· Provide support and advice regarding the IT Infrastructure based on NorthStar application requirements
· Diagnose and troubleshoot problems as they arise with the database, including poor application and database performance
· Work with Application & Technical Consultants to design databases, estimate proper table sizes, and document all aspects of the database
· Develop a general understanding of the applications accessing the databases
· Understand and address the needs of the end user requirements for queries and access to data
· Develop and maintain proper security of the database, including access for changes, application access and end-user interfaces
· Maintain proper source control for all database and stored procedure changes
· Produce and maintain technical documentation for all installations, maintenance changes and upgrades
· Work very closely with customers, other members of the Professional Services Group, Support Services Group and R&D
· Effectively communicate issues to the client and project team.
To meet this challenge you must possess a high level of initiative and energy as required to succeed in a fast-paced team environment, as well as several of the following skills:
· 5 years or more working experience in a Technical Consultant role.
· Bachelor’s or College degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field required; various relevant certifications would be an asset.
· Experience in Linux RedHat, Windows Server 2003/2008 operating systems; strong knowledge of: Unix (AIX, HP, Solaris).
· Experience in database administrative tasks for support of MS-SQL; strong knowledge of Informix and Oracle databases, preferred.
· Experience in complicated network and systems environments, including network protocols and administration; solid understanding of paging and swapping, devices and drivers, and file system concepts (clustering, logical partitions, etc).
· Experience in configuring and implementing applications within virtualized environments is beneficial.
· Proficiency with Dell server hardware including drives and disk arrays.
· Experience in documenting procedures and ability to develop technical proposals.
· Passion for the Customer and for work excellence.
· Ability to work independently, be flexible, be self-motivated and a team player.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
· Evenings and weekend work to be performed as required.
· Ability and willingness to travel 10 - 25% of time.
In exchange for your efforts, we'll provide you with competitive wages and benefits (including a generous vacation policy, health, dental, life and disability insurance), as well as diverse growth opportunities and a dynamic working environment.
Please mail, fax or email your resume to:
NorthStar Utilities Solutions
1 Antares Drive, Suite 400
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Fax: (613) 226-3377
Please feel free to browse our websites for further information at
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”