Data Engineer (DB2 Senior DBA) -
Data Engineer (DB2 Senior DBA), HP
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Posted Mar 17, 2011 1 Position(s)
|HP is a leading global provider of products, technologies, solutions and services to consumers and business. The company's offerings span IT infrastructure, personal computing and access devices, global services, and imaging and printing. Our $4 billion annual R&D investment fuels the invention of products, solutions and new technologies so we can better serve customers and enter new markets. We invent, engineer and deliver technology solutions that drive business value, create social value and improve the lives of our customers. Mainframe DB2 Application Sr DBA for a Toronto based client. This position is required to deliver mainframe DB2 services at the client site.
Lead DBA responsibilities:
· Works collaboratively with the other teams including PPM and architects to ensure project success.
· Engage and collaborate with the infrastructure teams to ensure delivery of data related infrastructure components.
· Ensure integration of DBA deliverables with other project deliverables.
· Collaborates with the Program/Project manager to plan and manage the DBA activities and deliverables.
· Mentors less experienced DBA team members.
· Leads discussion with customers and peers to collect and analyse data requirements.
· Develops or enhances the DBA/DE best practices, contributes innovative ideas to the DBA/DE knowledge base.
· Frequently contributes to discussions, forums and knowledge base.
· Provides leadership to peers, management and customers in relation to data engineering principles, technologies, methods and best practices across a broad spectrum of DE disciplines.
· Develops internal white papers or technical presentations.
· Participates in solution development for more complex deals.
· Participates in client meetings and presentations and leads the discussion and presentation of data and information management material.
· Uses DBA/DE Solutioning guidelines, templates and estimating tools to develop solution input for more complex data solutions / as a component of a large solution / for a large standalone data solution or more data functions within a small to medium solution.
· Plans and Leads database development and maintenance of complex databases including:
1. design database environments and databases
2. design, develop, modify, test, release/deploy and maintain database objects
3. design database objects and supervise develop, modify, test, release/deploy and maintain by other DBAs
4. design, develop, modify, test, release/deploy and maintain database security and audit solutions
5. design, develop, modify, test, release/deploy and maintain database recovery solutions
6. execute database and data recovery
7. manage database performance, capacity and availability
8. DBMS SW implementation, upgrade, patching
· Utilizing and enhancing best practices to develop work plans, checklists and defined processes
· Proactively supports application teams
· Provides advice on complex application data issues
· Participates in project technical reviews. Leads work product reviews
· Ensures database support documentation is developed and maintained
· Designs database monitoring solutions and assists others in monitoring and proactively anticipating or identifying issues
· Takes ownership of highly complex or critical database incidents and problems and provides resolutions in a timely manner. Engages SMEs or vendors to provide assistance to resolve more complex incidents as required
In order to satisfy our contractual obligations with clients, the successful candidate will be required to pass a basic, standard Criminal Records check. You will also be required to sign off on HP's Confidentiality, Non-Solicitation and Conflict of Interest Agreement.
Hewlett-Packard is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome the many dimensions of diversity.
Accommodation of special needs for qualified candidates may be considered within the framework of the HP Accommodation Policy.
The following skills are required for this role:
· 8 years of experience in the role of database administrator
· 8 years of experience in maintenance job development and support, including experience with CDC (Change Data Capture) replication on the mainframe for DB2
· 12 years of overall Information Technology industry experience
· 6 years of experience in gathering system performance and functional requirements
· 8 years of maintaining data dictionaries
· 8 years of experience in implementing DB2 database designs
· 6 years of developing security and access procedures for the database
· 6 years of developing and coordinating backup, Disaster Recovery and virus protection procedures
· 8 years of monitoring, reviewing and improving database performance (specifically DB2)
The following skills are not mandatory, but value add for this role:
· DBA experience with IMS
· Lead DBA experience
What are you ready to do?
Explorer our careers. Read Abhi's story. Join our revolution of doers.
Last updated on March 25, 2011