ABOUT US: Descartes Systems Group (NASDAQ:DSGX, TSE:DSG) is the leading global provider of Internet-based logistics solutions, including integrated software applications and collaborative network services. Our solutions enable participation in the Global Logistics Network, a federated community of supply chain and e-commerce partners built by Descartes that facilitates the efficient global exchange of logistics information. Be a member of a small, dynamic team to develop the next generation Inter-Enterprise Transportation Management System and enable e-Commerce to evolve to the next level.
Position: Intermediate Database Administrator
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Database Administrator Role Description
A database administrator (DBA) ensures the proper operation of business systems software concerned with the storage and processing of large quantities of data. Some widely used database software platforms include Microsoft SQL Server and other Database Servers. The successful candidate will be required to work closely with the Operations Team, Engineering Team and other Service Delivery departments, and will report to Manager, IT Services.
The responsibilities of a Database Administrator (DBA) include ensuring database performance, availability and security. They are also required to ensure that appropriate monitoring and backup processes are in place, along with disaster recovery replicas if they are required. This role can include a requirement for out of hours on-call support.
DBA's will often hold certifications for specific database software programs. Common certifications are Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA).
- Provide day-to-day support and maintenance for the SQL or other Vendor databases
- Monitor database events and proactively optimize system performance
- Perform health checks to ensure the integrity of the schema and the data
- Perform health checks to ensure the synchronization of database replicas
- Liaise with other infrastructure teams to resolve complex application performance analysis
- Develop and maintain the database architecture
- Develop and maintain the appropriate operational documentation for databases
Experience and Skills Required:
· Intermediate to expert knowledge of specific vendor database products such as Microsoft SQL and SAP.
· Intermediate to expert knowledge about server hardware infrastructure and operating systems. Server hardware can include specific vendor hardware such as Sun Servers.
· Scripting and database query skills
· Knowledge of backup strategies.
· Knowledge of clusters and high availability technologies.
· Understanding of RTO (Recovery Time Objective) and RPO (Recovery Point Objective)
· Knowledge of formal change management and incident management processes (ITIL)
Please submit your resume, to email@example.com citing Intermediate Database Administrator in the subject of your message. We thank all applicants for their interest in Descartes; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted.
Descartes (TSX: DSG) (NASDAQ: DSGX), is making the world a better place by enabling global organizations with logistics-intensive businesses to save money by improving the productivity and performance of their operations. Underlying Descartes' offerings is the Descartes Global Logistics Network (GLN), one of the world's most extensive multi-modal business applications network. As a federated software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform, the Descartes GLN combines with component-based 'nano' sized applications to provide messaging services between logistics trading partners, shipment management services to help manage third party carriers and private fleet management services for organizations of all sizes. Descartes' solutions and services deliver results by enabling organizations around the world to reduce administrative costs, billing cycles, fleet size, contract carrier costs, and mileage driven; improve pick-up and delivery reliability; and optimize working capital through fleet visibility. Descartes' hosted, transactional and packaged solutions deliver repeatable, measurable results and fast time-to-value. Descartes customers include an estimated 1,600 ground carriers and more than 90 airlines, 30 ocean carriers, 900 freight forwarders and third-party providers of logistics services, and hundreds of manufacturers, retailers, distributors, private fleet owners and regulatory agencies.