CWN seeks a Web and Database Specialist
The Canadian Water Network (CWN) is a federally funded non-profit organization that plays a vital role in ensuring that Canada benefits from its research expertise in addressing priority water issues and demonstrating global leadership in water management.
Co‐ordinated through its administrative centre in Waterloo, CWN connects the expertise of more than 100 researchers across Canada with the complementary experience and interests of a diverse array of decision‐makers and water managers in the private and public sectors to develop solutions to a variety of water issues of importance to Canada and increasingly the world.
CWN is looking for a full-time Web and Database Specialist to develop and maintain its website and corporate databases as an integral part of CWN’s Communications and Information Management function.
The ideal candidate will have three to five years of experience in website and database development, with keen interest in and enthusiasm for evaluating and implementing innovative social media applications to further CWN’s goals.
Are you a proactive self-starter looking for a fulfilling position that allows you to balance work with life?
Web and Database Specialist
Manager of Operations
The Web and Database Specialist is part of CWN’s Communications and Information Management Function.
The successful candidate will be responsible for
- Developing and maintaining CWN’s website and corporate databases
- Maintaining, updating and expanding the administrative centre’s IT infrastructure
- Providing IT support to CWN staff, researchers and partners
- Designing and maintaining databases and user interfaces to track CWN programs and projects, and to generate reports
- Working with the Communications Manager to develop and integrate innovative digital and social media applications to support CWN’s communications and marketing strategies
Reporting to the Manager of Operations and working closely with a small team of communications and program management staff, the Web and Database Specialist will lead the expansion of CWN’s new website and integrate corporate databases to improve information management and data analysis to advance corporate decision-making.
- Develop and maintain CWN’s website and underlying database, including investigating, programming, testing and implementing enhancements and functionality.
- Work with the Communications Manager in designing and incorporating digital and social media applications to support CWN’s communications and marketing strategies.
- Research and maintain knowledge of cutting-edge social media applications, and recommend and implement innovative use of social media in CWN’s programs and projects.
- Research and maintain knowledge of current web, database and network security standards and best practices, including standards adopted by the University of Waterloo; implement updates to CWN systems as required.
- Track website analytics and provide monthly reports and recommendations to management and communications staff.
- Design and implement web and database graphical user interfaces (GUIs) to support reporting, data analysis, eCommerce, program and project audits and reviews, and other web and database applications.
- Document and maintain procedures for annual reporting and program/project audits and reviews.
- Administer, maintain and expand the CWN administrative centre office IT infrastructure as necessary.
- Provide ongoing technical support to CWN administrative centre staff and website and database users.
- Act as the CWN liaison with the University of Waterloo IST group and third-party server hosts.
- Evaluate and recommend third-party suppliers as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years of experience in website and database development and administration.
- Proficiency with the following programming languages: PHP, RUBY on Rails, HTML, CSS and Java Script.
- Database development and administration experience in MySQL and SQL.
- Experience with and interest in social media applications for corporate networking, marketing and to support communities of practice.
- Experience developing or working with e-commerce interfaces is preferred.
- Ability to assess and translate user needs into applications and solutions.
- Ability to work independently and as team member.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to maintain current knowledge of industry best practices and standards.
To apply for this exciting position at Canada’s leading non-profit organization in applied water management research, send by e-mail attachment a cover letter and résumé to Simon Glauser, Manager of Operations, no later than Friday, April 22 at 4:30 p.m. EDT.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.