Operations Database Administrator - Bank of Canada
Operations Database Administrator (ITS-004-11 AJ), BANK OF CANADA
Ottawa, ON, CANADA
Posted Jan 24, 2011 1 Position(s)
Position Type: One-year term with the possibility of extension or of becoming regular
Salary Range: The Bank offers a competitive total compensation package with starting salaries, based on qualifications, generally ranging between $68,618 and $85,772* (Position grade 17).
*Where the Bank requires specialized skills, it may offer higher starting salaries to exceptional candidates.
Take a Central Role at the Bank of Canada
Canada's central bank is the nation's pre-eminent macroeconomic policy institution. No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada's economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. No matter what your area of expertise, you'll enjoy an open culture and a superior work environment that will challenge, energize, and motivate you to excel. (More info)
The Operations Database Administrator (DBA) focuses on overall administration of physical database environments and database management system (DBMS) software infrastructure to support live production applications. This position ensures a smooth transition from development to production of all related ongoing operational requirements.
- install, configure and maintain all supported DBMS software (Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL Server, MYSQL)
- upgrade existing SQL server databases from 2000 and 2005 versions to 2008 version
- implement, test and support technical customizing and interfaces
- is responsible for the ongoing operations support for the security and authorizations roles, for system access in all environments including Sandbox, Development, Quality Assurance and Production
- participate in application testing (new support packages, releases, functionality and customizing) as it pertains to authorizations
- build database scheme, tables, procedures and permissions
- analyze and tune databases for optimal efficiency
- act as a liaison for support groups and clients and provide problem analysis and consultation for reliability of system access
- work with application development teams to determine appropriate authorization objects to satisfy security and management objectives
- assess the impacts of authorization changes to clients and users for potential segregation of duties issues
- respond to audit inquiries on any access- and authorization-related issues
- has ownership and responsibility for resolution of database-related technical issues
- implement and review backup and recovery strategy to ensure that file system integrity and business requirements are met
- is responsible for leading and coordinating a system recovery in the event of a system failure
- manage DBMS resources
- ensure optimization of resource usage to increase throughput and minimize contention
- tune the operating system, network and transaction processors to work with the DBMS
- ensure appropriate storage for the RDBMS (Relational Database Management System)
- enable the DBMS to work with storage devices and storage management software (SAN technology)
- interface with any other technologies required by applications
- minimize the amount of database downtime required to perform administrative tasks
- ensure that database security provides access to authorized users only
- conduct database environment backup and recovery (production)
- coordinate DBMS release migration
- manage Schema Objects and perform production migrations
- administer database connectivity (Oracle Net, etc.)
- identify causes and implement solutions to more complex/uncommon business problems in a multi-functional setting (variety of new computing architectures and platforms), assessing and communicating issues of technological impact on the functional/corporate level
- analyze and monitor system performance to identify major performance bottlenecks in the system and identify the impact of administration tasks on core business scenarios
- initiate and participate in studies and exploratory analyses on database and middleware technology evolution and strategic opportunities
- participate in long-term strategic thinking and analysis to ensure proper hardware capacity planning
- provide recommendations/decisions within architectural standards for development activities related to his/her area of expertise
- identify and document technology-specific standards
- is responsible for monitoring of database standards
- maintain documentation and is active in training and knowledge sharing among co-workers
- collaborate with development DBAs to coordinate database migration activities and disaster recovery testing, and to enhance disaster recovery procedures
- provide on-the-job training to colleagues and clients
- participate in Type 1 - 4 projects by providing support in area of expertise
- bachelor's degree in computer science or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- minimum of five years of recent experience with database administration including administration and installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or higher
- minimum of three years of experience participating in projects, ranging from six months to three years in duration
- English or French essential
- experience in database administration of an Oracle/Microsoft and Unix/Windows environment, including:
- support and management of system landscape (dev/qa/production/bcp) including configuration/ vendor patches
- security and authorization administration
- client administration
- administration of development keys
- implementation experience with Oracle 10g Database and Dataguard software in a production UNIX environment including database connectivity and other third-party vendor solutions
- detailed knowledge of system management including capacity planning
- experience with database migration and software upgrades
- knowledge of MS SQL clustering
- experience with performance monitoring and monitoring tools (Idera, MOM)
- experience in configuring Memory in SQL Server 2008 and capacity planning
- experience creating and editing stored procedures in MS SQL Server
- functional in second official language (training may be provided to help the selected candidate reach the required level)
- knowledge of Enterprise Backup and Recovery systems such as NetBackup
- knowledge of Network configuration including TCP/IP, Firewall and DMZ environments
- knowledge of ITIL and change management best practices
- knowledge of vendor's support and escalation procedures
- experience working in a 24x7 production environment
- proven strengths in the areas of J2EE application development, infrastructure integration, trouble-shooting and problem resolution
- experience in DTS/SSIS package development
If you are a qualified candidate, please submit a detailed résumé and a covering letter by 13 February 2011. We will also ask you to complete a mandatory questionnaire during the application process.
- Condition of employment: Candidate must be eligible for reliability status clearance.
- Priority will be given to candidates who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- The work schedule is 37.5 hours per week.
- On-call work with the possibility of shift work or a variable schedule based on operational needs is required.
- We are committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from qualified men and women, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
- Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Last updated on February 13, 2011