Database Administrator, AVID LIFE MEDIA
North York, ON, CANADA; Toronto, ON, CANADA
Posted Feb 11, 2011 1 Position(s)
Avid Life Media Inc. (www.avidlifemedia.com) is a leading social entertainment company that operates some of the most vibrant dating communities on the web. As the Company continues to enjoy compound annual growth, we are actively hiring in a number of areas. Are you looking for challenging new career opportunity in a vibrant and fast growing company? Are you an individual who can work independently and within a team environment; comfortable juggling multiple projects; and delivering against tight-deadlines in a fast paced work environment? If yes, that a career with Avid Life Media may be the perfect fit! Our offices are conveniently located on the Yonge subway line at Yonge/Eglinton. We are looking for great people to fill key positions within the organization. If you feel that you have the required skills and experience to be successful in the position, we would love to hear from you!
We are looking for a talented Database Administrator to join our team who will be responsible for ensuring the ongoing availability and performance of the Avid Media web sites. You will also contribute to the completion of project tasks to enhance site functionality, capacity, and performance. A team player, you have solid communication skills along with the ability to juggle multiple projects, proactively analyze & solve problems, and deliver against tight-deadlines in a fast paced environment. As part of the Operations team, you will also be responsible to:
As part of the Operations team, you will also be responsible to:
- Perform regular database maintenance on more than 40 production database instances
- Ensure effectiveness and completeness of backup and archival jobs
- Provide database architecture and technology recommendations
- Identify and analyze database performance issues and provide guidance and assistance to development teams
- Support development and QA activities through the creation and management of database environments and test data sets
- Participate on cross-functional teams to complete project deliverables
- Provide on-call support to other operations team members
- Work with other internal and third-party team members to resolve incidents and problems.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or diploma in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- Expert knowledge of MySQL database technologies including replication, performance, backup and restore, and community and commercial builds
- Experience working with development and QA teams
- Experience deploying and administering MySQL in a RedHat Enterprise Linux environment
- Experience working in a fast-paced Operations environment administering large-scale, distributed PHP and/or Ruby web applications
- Experience managing SQL Server and PostgreSQL databases
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn Redis, Sphinx Search, and Mongo technologies
- Strong verbal and written communication and analytical skills
- VMware/Xen experience an asset
- ITIL Certification is an asset.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter (in the same document) to email@example.com . In the e-mail subject line please reference "Database Administrator".
Last updated on February 20, 2011