Senior Database Developer (SQL, Access), Actuarial Experience Monitoring, Individual Insurance (Kitchener), MANULIFE FINANCIAL
Kitchener, ON, CANADA; Waterloo, ON, CANADA
Posted Jan 28, 2011 1 Position(s)
The professionalism and talent of our employees is what makes Manulife Financial a successful organization. As a leading provider of financial protection products and investment management services, we depend upon the performance, service, and support of many different business units.
Senior Database Developer (SQL, Access), Actuarial Experience Monitoring, Individual Insurance (Kitchener)-1100221
Manulife Financial's Individual Insurance organization is a leading provider of insurance products to Canadian families, individuals and businesses. We are recognized in the marketplace for our innovative products, excellent service and professional, expert advice.
Within Individual Insurance, the Actuarial Experience Monitoring group is currently in the final stages of development for a new experience monitoring and study application. The application is built with an MS Access front-end, SQL Server back-end and ties into 6 very large enterprise mainframe systems for data. The role of Experience Monitoring is to monitor and measure the actuarial expectance against the actual experience (looking at things such as mortality, lapse, morbidity etc.). Additionally, when there are deviations this group is responsible for studying the data to come up with recommendations that would flow into pricing and valuation models.
Reporting to the Director, Experience Monitoring, this position will be responsible for the ongoing development and support of our new Experience Monitoring System. The incumbent will be involved in all aspects of software development, including coding, testing, and documentation, and will ensure that the system efficiently assists with the production of annual Experience Monitoring Reports on key Life and Living Benefits assumptions as well as triennial Experience Studies on these same assumptions. This role will also work closely with other members of the Experience Monitoring Unit to develop and implement leading experience measurement methodologies for novel products and emerging risks.
- Develop and implement new modules in the Experience Monitoring System. These modules are designed to output raw experience metrics (e.g., Actuarial Exposure, Actual-to-Expected ratios, etc.) for a given product type and risk, which in turn are used in the production of annual Experience Monitoring Reports and triennial Experience Studies.
- Compile system development plans that prioritize business needs of all stakeholders, establish project deliverables, timelines, and budget. This process includes being the primary contact point with the client and preparation of the project plan.
- Take a lead role in all aspects of software development, including coding, testing, and writing clear and concise documentation. Work alongside other systems professionals, including contract programmers.
- Maintain the Experience Monitoring System and optimize its efficiency. The logic underlying pre-existing modules may need to be updated for new products and/or new product features.
- Work with other members of the Experience Monitoring Unit to develop leading experience measurement methodologies for novel products and emerging risks.
- Ensure that the needs of key stakeholders are met.
- Oversee extract enhancement projects. Mainframe data extracts containing policyholder data are the key input to the Experience Monitoring System.
- Apply technical and business knowledge to identify, analyze and solve production problems.
- Keep current on, develop, and champion standards, technologies, and methodologies.
- 5+ years experience developing database applications and/or business tools, preferably in a financial environment
- Strong programming experience in SQL, VBA, MS ACCESS, and SQL SERVER
- General understanding of insurance products and associated risks
- Demonstrated ability to build robust and reusable business solutions with minimal direction
- Experience working with large datasets
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-starter and inquisitive
- Ability to work independently in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good organization and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to excellent customer service
About Manulife Financial
Manulife Financial is a leading Canadian-based financial services group operating in 22 countries and territories worldwide. For more than 120 years, clients worldwide have looked to Manulife for strong, reliable, trustworthy and forward-thinking solutions for their most significant financial decisions. Our international network of employees, agents and distribution partners offers financial protection and wealth management products and services to millions of clients around the world. We provide asset management services to institutional customers worldwide as well as reinsurance solutions, specializing in life and property and casualty retrocession. Funds under management by Manulife Financial and its subsidiaries were $474 billion (US$460 billion) as at September 30, 2010. The Company operates as Manulife Financial in Canada and Asia and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife Financial can be found on the Internet at www.manulife.com.
: CA-ON-*Kitchener / Waterloo
: Individual Insurance