The CPP Investment Board is a professional investment management organization that invests the funds not needed by the Canada Pension Plan to pay current benefits on behalf of 17 million Canadian contributors and beneficiaries. In order to build a diversified portfolio of CPP assets, the CPP Investment Board invests in public equities, private equities, real estate, inflation-linked bonds, infrastructure and fixed income instruments. Headquartered in Toronto, with offices in London and Hong Kong, the CPP Investment Board is governed and managed independently of the Canada Pension Plan and at arm's length from governments. For more information about the CPP Investment Board, please visit www.cppib.ca..
We are presently recruiting for a Senior Data Analyst in the Data Management department.
The Senior Data Analyst is responsible for leading and operating data content management processes to support data matching, cleansing and analysis to ensure integrity for assigned reference and market data sets and for leading data analysis work. This work directly supports investment research, operational, risk and performance measurement processes that are dependent on the accuracy of data managed by Data Management.
As a senior member of a dynamic and fast paced team, the Senior Data Analyst brings business acumen, a strong work ethic and a demonstrated capability to lead the execution of critical business processes in a culture of continuous improvement. This role requires leadership, decisiveness and a sense of urgency to respond to time sensitive priorities. This is complemented by a willingness to take accountability for results achieved, and to provide coaching to other members of the team to maximize team accomplishments.
- Communicates effectively with CPPIB professionals at varying levels of seniority, including applying insight to determine the business impact of problems that may arise in the availability, integrity or completeness of investment data
- Applies interpersonal and influencing skills to develop strong relationships with stakeholders across CPPIB, and provides advice based on a demonstrated expertise in multiple data classes that are core to CPPIB's investment management processes
Data Operations Processes
- Leads data analysis efforts to support business partner data needs
- Leads and executes data matching, cleansing and control processes to achieve CPPIB's objectives for data management - we require data and content to be Complete, Accurate, Reliable, Accessible, Timely, Transparent and Secure
- Takes a proactive approach to updating and maintaining index, index constituent, reference, security master and metadata records, and ensures that controls are in place to maintain this data on an ongoing basis.
- Provides coaching and support to colleagues to promote an 'ownership' attitude to improve processes and data quality
- Develops subject matter expertise in multiple data classes and actively works with colleagues to share knowledge and develop team strengths
- Escalates data and content integrity issues on a timely basis, uses discretion to resolve issues within the bounds of assigned authorities, and communicates openly to stakeholders who are dependent on data for their investment research, operational, risk and performance measurement processes
- Documents data and content business requirements, business process methods and data flows, including specifications for integrity checks and enhancements. Identifies and promotes process synergies and seek opportunities to promote alignment cross-functionally across CPPIB
- Actively seeks opportunities to automate quality control and integrity checks, wherever possible
- Reviews and monitors adherence to established data management processes
- Leads the development, implementation and testing of processes and procedures to manage data and content quality and reconciliation requirements. Looks to enhance processes in order to improve controls, quality and/or efficiency
- Proactively validates data using exception handling tools and procedures. Contributes to the development and testing of these tools, and identifies opportunities to leverage pre-existing tools to meet new business requirements
If you possess the following, we'd like to hear from you:
- University Degree
- 5+ years of progressive experience in capital markets, investment management or the market data industry
- Investment industry qualifications including the CSC and/or CFA are an asset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in addition to proven interpersonal skills.
- Strong relationship building skills
- Outstanding analytical and organizational skills with an attention to detail. Tenacity to identify the root cause of problems is essential
- Capability to quickly switch contexts between strategic and detailed analyses
- Flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities, coupled with a sense of urgency
- Willingness to pitch-in with other team members. Entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to think 'outside the box'
- Eagerness to learn
- Capability to function with a high degree of autonomy, but effectively seek guidance when issues are of relative criticality, strategic importance or have an enterprise impact
- Experience Using Excel, SQL, Bloomberg and CADIS beneficial
- Exemplify CPPIB's Guiding Principles of integrity, partnership and high performance
- Willingness to join the after-hours support team