BC Assessment - Head Office - Victoria
Position Posting Date: December 7, 2010
Competition Number: 10-74 (An eligibility list may be established for this competition)
Deadline for Applications: December 31, 2010 @ 4:30 p.m. PST
Reports to: Manager, Database Services
Position Overview: As the corporate expert, the Database Administrator (DB Administrator) manages, designs, controls and maintains the overall physical and logical structure of multiple BC Assessment corporate databases (using either Oracle or MS SQL). This position has primary responsibility for the definition, organization, standards, security, backup, and performance of the corporate databases. The position has ultimate responsibility for the security, availability, and integrity of corporate databases to meet required corporate service levels. As part of this role, the DB Administrator also monitors and recommends changes to the database management systems (DBMS) Software. The position provides technical direction to and is supported by the Database Analyst, project resources and contractors/vendors. The position consults with and advises IT Business and Customer Service staff, management, users and external vendors in the development of design specifications and modifications to meet BCA business needs.
Role of a Database Administrator
The focus of the position varies as required in the areas of:
- Database Planning and Needs Analysis
- Database Programming, Systems Design and Development
- DBMS Operational Support, Maintenance and Monitoring
- Security, Back-up and Recovery of DBM Systems and Information
- Application Database Management
- Technical Direction of the Database Analyst
- Administration, Training and Documentation
Education and Experience Requirements
- A university degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Software Engineering
- Training or courses in database design and implementation, information retrieval techniques, file access methods, and development and documentation standards
- Proficiency in database descriptor language and database command language used in the organization.
- Four years experience with emphasis on database operations, analysis, change management, and design.
- A minimum of two years experience with supporting enterprise-wide database for the assigned line of business applications.
- Some experience providing technical direction to subordinate positions.
- Experience in a client-focused work environment is desired
NOTE: An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Current and long-term user and organizational data requirements
- Plan, organize, and coordinate database development
- Work independently and meet fixed deadlines
- Apply analytical thinking and judgment
- Demonstrate team leadership
- Provide customer service
- Demonstrate innovation and change management
- Demonstrate professional conduct
- Plan and organize work
- Recognizing significant data and collecting, arranging, classifying and analyzing this data
- Analysis and application of current technology to resolve complex database problems
- Instruction and provision of technical direction
- Written and oral communications
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with BC Assessment; however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
This is a CUPE bargaining unit position and offers an annual salary of $72,377.91 - $85, 150.72.
All BCA employees have access to a comprehensive benefits package.
BC Assessment is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to Careers@bcassessment.ca with a subject line:
LastName, FirstName – Competition Number 10-74