- Victoria Police Department
More Database and SAP Jobs in Victoria, BC
Victoria Police Department -
The Victoria Police Department, founded in 1858, is the oldest municipal police department in Canada west of the Great Lakes. It serves an urban area of nine square miles with a population of approximately 97,000 people, in the municipalities of Victoria and Esquimalt in the center of the Greater Victoria area; DBMS
: Oracle, FoxPro, Informix Database, SQL server, MSSQL, Access, Crystal reports; Past job postings: Systems Analyst
; Current Career Opportunities
P10-11 Systems Analyst
This is a CUPE LOCAL 50 position
DATE OF ISSUE: July 08/2011
CLOSING DATE: July 22/2011
Number of Positions:
Regular - Continuous
Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
$42.58/hour (pay grade 18)
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition number on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: email@example.com
- Police/Information Technology
- Provide project management, systems analysis, programming and support functions for the department’s computers and mobile networks.
- Maintain the department’s primary computer systems including enhanced 9-1-1, computer aided dispatch and criminal records; establish and maintain connections with other jurisdictions such as CPIC and other police departments and the departments mobile fleet; ensure effective and continuous operation of the system; responsible for system maintenance, tuning and performance.
- Manage Information Technology projects for the department and between other agencies including the coordination, assignment, review and participation in the project tasks; liaise with other Police Department and Police Management staff regarding department projects.
- Analyze, test and trouble shoot proposed changes to existing programs and services to determine the effect on the system; discuss service and programming requests with users to ensure their needs are clear, within the annual objectives and department policy and provide alternatives where and when appropriate; plan and develop new information processing systems; design and develop, test, monitor and install program upgrades and software applications and prepare documentation manuals and instruction guides; develop and present training programs on the use of software.
- Assess Prime problems and production failures; make corrections or modify programs as necessary; provide technical support and assistance regarding problems with personal computers connected to Prime; assist with the installation and maintenance of Prime computers, local area network, personal computers and software; provide technical support and assistance regarding problems with the mobile communications network and mobile computers.
- Plan and design program specifications, application, solutions and procedures; review proposals for new applications and make recommendations; liaise with consultants, vendors and outside agencies on program and system development; provide guidance and assistance to area police departments to exchange information and establish shared systems.
- Analyze new application proposals to determine technical and economic feasibility; plan and develop new information processing systems.
- Perform related duties where qualified.
- Work is generated by requests for service and annual objectives or assigned by supervisor.
- Work is reviewed through adequacy of approach to programming and resolution of system problems; adherence to timelines, standards and effective use of computing resources.
- Issues such as major expenditures and policy are researched and recommendations are referred to Supervisor.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding. (frequent)
- Long periods of intense concentration while solving programming problems/designing. (frequent)
- Focus on a variety of source data and VDT for long periods. (frequent)
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Reporting tools – SQL server, Crystal reports
- Web – HTML, Dreamweaver, Visual Studio, Flash, Adobe Photoshop, Tomcat
- Other – MS SharePoint
- Understand and apply the principles and methods required for systems analysis.
- Establish and maintain relationships.
- Work both independently and as a member of the team.
- Superior time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Ability to handle multiple projects varying in scope and time frame for delivery.
- Ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment with self-initiative.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science.
- 4 years of related experience including some project management experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required to obtain security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
Job Description: 4185
Last updated on July 15, 2011