1. Works with VIHA - IM /IT Programmer Analysts, Project Analysts, Project Managers, clients and vendor partners overseeing the architecture, design, implementation, and support of a number of health and business applications, with a focus on the technical platform, which typically have an Oracle relational database running on SUN/Sparc - Solaris or HP-UX operating systems.
2. Supports various layered products incorporated into vendor supplied solutions considered middleware, including but not limited to websphere, java virtual machines, interface engines, proprietary code installers, management and monitoring toolsets and internet servers.
3. Monitors, resolves incidents, and constructs support documentation related to the Oracle database products and middleware (platform) layer with emphasis on vendor supported products.
4. Provides technical consultation for all Oracle databases. Responsible for overall stability, maintainability, and business continuity of the Oracle database infrastructure and platform layers to mission-critical standards. Coordinates and /or performs installation, upgrade, or patching activities for vendor platforms.
5. Manages and maintains SUN/Sparc - Solaris operating systems, including installations and upgrades, installing patches, tuning, development and maintenance of shell scripts. Implements approved changes to the standard database products and related tools such as upgrades to the Oracle version, installing Oracle service patches, layering on business value added products such as dataguard.
6. Monitors database performance to meet SLA's.
7. Acts as the key resource in maintaining the quality of logical data models, developing the logical data model and implementing the physical database.
8. Designs database security plans.
9. Creates and maintains DBMS plans to ensure infrastructure capacity and software releases meets VIHA current and future business needs.
10. Delivers metrics specific to service delivery, for example measures performance improvements obtained through a scheduled re-indexing of the DBMS
11. Resolves DBMS incidents escalated from the Service Desk and/or escalates these to appropriate vendor contacts for resolution.
12. Participates in determining DBMS requirements for new applications and advises Project Managers on standards, service levels, change requirements, and time lines.
13. Participates with or provides direction to IM/IT Application Analysts, Lab infomatics, Pharmacy and Radiology teams in the application testing process, with emphasis on technical consultation for the platform.
14. Ensures that due consideration for business continuity and disaster recovery planning is applied to the Oracle Server/ Data Repository infrastructure.
15. Performs backups and recoveries, performance monitoring, performance optimization, disk space utilization, software installation and upgrades, logical and physical data modeling, development of stored procedures, triggers, views, loaders and other database objects, ETL procedures, interfacing and installation and upgrade and support of the Solaris Operating system.
16. Leads staff training in the use and implementation of application platforms, Oracle software, Solaris system administration, as well as related tools, and best practices.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.