Position: Senior Database Administrator
Department: UBC-IT (UBC IT - Database Admin.)
Job Family: Information Systems & Technology
Term: Full Time; Immediately - March 31, 2012
The Senior Database Administrator - mySQL/MS SQL leads the analysis and design of existing or proposed systems to structure and access databases, advises on database concepts and functional capabilities, assists in the identification of information flows, oversees the preparation of specifications and flowcharts, and directs the installation of revised or new systems.
The mySQl/MS SQL DBA works independently and jointly within the Database Administration team, receiving operational and strategic direction from the Manager, Database Administration and liaising closely with other Senior Database Analysts, the Director, Infrastructure, and other UBC IT management and technical staff within the Database Administration portfolio, as well as external vendors and various stakeholders.
The incumbent will act as an "expert" on mySQL and MS SQL systems on various committees and projects and as such will provide expert advice to stakeholders and staff with regard to issues and problems that may arise as well as development and strategy. Additionally, the incumbent will provide coaching to business decision makers, understand the impact of technical changes on business processes and leverage common approaches and resources between departments.
The mySQl/MS SQL DBA receives operation and strategic direction from the Manager, Database Administration and will liaise closely with Senior Database Analysts, the Director, Infrastructure.
- Leads the analysis and design of existing or proposed systems to structure and access databases.
- Advises on database concepts and functional capabilities based on overall strategies and systems infrastructures and recommendations put forward by other team members.
- Assists in the identification of information flows, analyzes data flow between systems to establish entity and functional relationships, and defines system specific dependencies.
- Oversees preparation of specifications and flowcharts.
- Directs the installation of revised or new systems.
- Assists others in establishing enterprise database development standards and metadata models.
- Analyzes and may develop database performance metrics and forecasts utilization for capacity planning.
- Develops systems and procedures to protect the data systems and databases and authorizes corrective actions to ensure data security.
- Implements data restore and recovery plans and procedures to protect and continue data system and database activities that support broader emergency or disaster recovery plans.
- Ensures for alignment of overall project outcomes and coordinates with project team members and other individuals to create a plan which ensures seamless workflow with quality handoffs.
- Evaluates future technologies and makes recommendations for software and hardware upgrades.
- Provides technical leadership, coaching, and mentoring to less-experienced individuals.
- Responding to incidents and take appropriate action to resolve
- Managing and overseeing Access Control, including Definition & Schema
- Liaise with other support groups: this includes, establishing incident resolution techniques; and managing knowledge transfer activities and outcomes to assist in incident identification
- Maintain Documentation and make recommendations for updates according to new procedures and governing legislation
- Performance monitoring and tuning, including Identifying key metrics and taking appropriate action to resolve issues strategize for improvements
- Oversee backup and recovery maintenance, planning, and strategies
- Assist in strategies for Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity planning: including High Availability, Schema Updates, and Generating Reports
- Manage and perform technical service enhancements, including: Version updates, Patching, and Life Cycle
- Must be able to effectively perform the following MS SQL Deployments: Installation of new systems and services; Assisting departmental SQL deployments; Liaise with Dept Sys Administrators
- Must be able to effectively work with and troublshoot the following tools: SQL Server Management Studio; Database Engine Tuning Advisor; TOAD for SQL Server; Grouper; Campus Wide Login (CWL)
EDUCATION & SKILLS
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. A minimum of 5 years of experience, in-depth knowledge of applications and the business requirements supporting them or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Explains the context of multiple interrelated situations, asks searching, probing questions, and solicits expert advice prior to taking action and making recommendations.
- Consistently fosters collaboration and respect among team members by addressing elements of the group process that impedes, or could impede, the group from reaching its goal.
- Diagnoses problems using formal problem-solving tools and techniques from multiple angles and probes underlying issues to generate multiple potential solutions.
- Defines criteria for prioritization and recommends core components of a strategic technology plan. Leads implementation of the approved strategic technology plan for significant, integrated work processes.
- Identifies potential areas of conflicting priorities and vulnerability in achieving standards.
- Thorough knowledge from both an application and database administration perspective of University-wide databases.
- Thorough knowledge on how to use Unix and its utilities in conjunction with managing an enterprise scale database such as Oracle and DB2.
- Thorough working knowledge in Unix shell script reading and writing.
- Thorough understanding of how to effectively use MS Windows work tool environments to access Unix hosts and run database management tools.
- Thorough understanding of data networking and its application to enterprise scale applications. Ability to learn quickly and adapt easily to new situations.
- Ability to work well with management and non-management staff across the department and the University. Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines, often in time sensitive mission critical situations. Ability to effectively recruit, train, supervise, and motivate employees.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. UBC is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.