Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
CANADIAN BREAST CANCER FOUNDATION - BC/YUKON REGION
Position: Database Administrator (The Raiser's Edge)
Reports to: Director Finance & Operations
Supervises: Database Coordinator
Status: Full-time Permanent
Location: Vancouver, BC
Established in 1986, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation is the leading national volunteer-based organization in Canada dedicated to creating a future without breast cancer. The Foundation works collaboratively to fund, support and advocate for relevant and innovative breast cancer research; meaningful education and awareness programs; early diagnosis and effective treatment; and a positive quality of life for those living with breast cancer.
At an operational level, the Foundation carries out its work across Canada through the efforts of its five business units and their staff and volunteer resources: four regional offices in Atlantic Canada, Ontario, Prairies/NWT and BC/Yukon, and one Central Office in Toronto. Each of the five business units of the Foundation has defined roles and responsibilities within a shared-services organizational structure, maximizing operational efficiencies and delivery of consistent nation-wide messaging.
The BC/Yukon Region of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation (CBCF) was established in 1992 to make a difference in breast cancer and breast health for BC women. Every year, CBCF, along with its donors, sponsors and partners, raises hundreds of thousands of dollars to support groundbreaking research and unique programs to detect, diagnose and treat breast cancer.
The Database Administrator (DBA) has the primary responsibility for managing The Raiser’s Edge (RE) database and related processes for the BC/Yukon Region. This position provides support in the evaluation, selection and implementation of database management systems that meet the requirements outlined by the Central IT office. The incumbent ensures data integrity and security, assists in eliminating system-wide data redundancy and provides support and feedback on the use of tuning tools to improve database performance. This is a frontline position that works collaboratively with regional and national staff on related projects.
The Database Administrator reports to the Director of Finance and Operations and works closely and collaboratively with the Development Teams. The DBA supervises the Database Coordinator who is primarily responsible for the day-to-day activity of processing donations, and producing receipts and acknowledgement letters.
1. Frontline resource on The Raiser's Edge, processes and MS applications
· Acts as an RE resource for the BC/Yukon Region; provides ongoing RE training and/or coordinates RE training for the BC/Yukon Region
· Operates as the regional contact for other CBCF regions with respect to RE support, inquiries and issues
· Monitors, develops, and revises regional RE processes and procedures for fund development, volunteers and other regions as needed
· Assists with reconciliation of The Raiser's Edge with Great Plains
2. Database Administration
· Identifies new or ongoing issues with imports from external databases
· Troubleshoots database by participating in national initiatives, providing feedback, and recommendations and follow up
· Assists with database mapping issues to RE
· Works with Central Donor Services to ensure accuracy of data, monthly gift information and tax receipts
· Provides general support and information on tax receipt related inquiries and requests; gift processing procedures; gift inquiries and recoding requests; RE related database issues
· Develops/reviews/updates business practices
· Develops database strategies to assist with new fundraising initiatives
· Consults with the Director of Annual Programs to annually implement new fund, appeal, package and/or campaign code requests
· Performs research and works with consultants to support Major Gifts team and 2020 Comprehensive Campaign initiatives; provides support to the Planned Giving (PG) team ensuring RE meets their needs
· Provides additional support when feasible to Fund Development staff
· Provides ongoing training to the Database Coordinator based on bi-weekly meetings
3. Donor Services
· Responds to donor inquiries and requests received by phone, e-mail, fax, mail and actions or redirects appropriately
· Responds to requests for tax receipts from donors and/or staff
4. Gift Processing
· Processes BC/Yukon Regional Monthly Gifts
· Adjusts gifts in RE as per requests from Finance, Fund Development staff and/or donor(s), and ensures that proper documentation is received per CRA guidelines
· Manages and updates all receipts and letters; ensures that all receipt templates adhere to CRA guidelines
· Codes gifts and verifies gift coding for the Database Coordinator (DC) when needed; acts as backup for DC; provides support and assistance to the DC during higher volume periods
· College diploma or certificate in Business Administration and Accounting or equivalent experience
· Minimum 5 years work experience in database management in the not-for-profit sector or equivalent experience
· Proficiency in The Raiser's Edge software and related business practices
· Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Applications, especially Excel and Word
· CRA tax receipting and Privacy Act knowledge
· Knowledge of relationship between general ledger and Raisers Edge
· Attention to detail, ability to multi-task and to manage time-sensitive projects and meet deadlines as well as flexibility in adjusting to changing priorities
· Ability to work to strict deadlines, achieving quality results in a fast-paced environment
· Proven leadership abilities
· Proven database management abilities including data processing and donor records maintenance
· Donor services skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working on regional and national teams
Conditions of Employment:
This is a full time position located in the CBCF – BC/Yukon office in Vancouver. Standard workweek is a 5 day, 35 hours week, representing 7 hours at the office daily plus a daily one-hour break. Some additional work outside of the regular workday is expected for evening and/or weekend meetings and attendance and participation in the Run and other special events.
NOTE: CBCF BC/Yukon Region policy on working hours and compensatory time specifies flex time and compensatory time arrangements. All employees are guided by this policy. CBCF is committed to employment equity and offers a competitive salary.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by via e-mail with a resume and cover letter by April 29, 2011 to the attention of Lois Reimer, Director Finance & Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.