Junior Database Administrator
Break free from tradition and join this innovative and fast-paced environment. Our world headquarters is situated in the financial district of Vancouver, Canada with regional headquarters in Austin, Texas and Newbury in the U.K. Absolute currently has over 5.5 million computer security subscriptions under management, annual revenue growth and positive cash flow. We have been awarded BCTIA Company of the year, the International Stevie Award for Best New Computer Software Product and the prestigious CODiE Award Winner for Best Data Security Solution.
We are currently looking for a results-driven, self-motivated Junior Database Administrator to join our dynamic team. This person will be working out of our Vancouver BC.
The Junior Database Administrator (DBA), in conjunction with the database administration team is responsible for maintaining the company’s production system databases. This includes the development, review, and maintenance of database scripts, providing custom reports and data extracts. The junior database administrator may also maintain database objects, including keys, indexes.
As part of a team that is responsible for Absolute’s production environment, the Junior DBA will also assist in staging and managing updates to the production environment. This may include review of proposed database changes and working with the QA team to support testing. Some system updates are service affecting and need to be scheduled for low traffic periods, thus the junior database administrator will need to periodically be available on evening and weekends for system updates.
The Jr. DBA will be expected to be available periodically on a pager basis for production issues and escalations. Some travel in North America will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Execution of key database administration activities. This includes:
- Executing DB update scripts to manage approved modifications to data
- Developing new scripts
- Installing and upgrading database application components
- Providing management or customer reports and data extracts
- Maintaining database objects, including keys, indexes, etc
Carrying out business processes within the team. This includes:
- Managing system security according to policy and procedure
- Planning and execution of system backup and restore
Interaction as part of the Production Application team. This includes:
- Making recommendations on existing and future storage and system infrastructure
- Issue resolution to the staging and production environments
- 1-2 years of technical experience in database administration
Experience of documentation and presentation of technical tasks and implementation plans expected.
Experience with reporting packages required, such as Microsoft Reporting Services, Crystal Reports.
Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial high-tech environment expected.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of database design, optimization and management required.
Thorough knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server platform and tools required.
Technical troubleshooting and issue documentation skills required.
Microsoft MCDBA preferred.
Strong familiarity with operating systems, firewalls, anti-virus and other security products required.
Knowledge of IT Asset Management practices an asset.
Broad Internet knowledge required.
- Formal technical training expected, university degree preferred.
Broad-based education across multiple disciplines preferred.