Position Type: Two 1-year terms with the possibility of extension or of becoming regular
Salary Range: The Bank offers a competitive total compensation package with starting salaries, based on qualifications, generally ranging between $68,618 and $97,220* (job grade 17 or 18).
*Where the Bank has needs for specialized skills; it may offer higher starting salaries to exceptional candidates.
Take a Central Role at the Bank of Canada
Canada's central bank is the nation's pre-eminent macroeconomic policy institution. No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada's economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. No matter what your area of expertise, you'll enjoy an open culture and a superior work environment that will challenge, energize, and motivate you to excel. (More info)
The Senior Data Analyst/Modeller works closely with colleagues in the Applications Management Services team and decision support team on database enhancements and bug fixes requiring data design changes. This position also interacts with clients on a regular basis to model and document user requirements. The Senior Data Analyst/Modeller develops, manages and updates data models, including physical and logical models serving databases for online transaction-based applications and specialized data-warehouse applications.
- lead all efforts related to database enhancements and support, such as the design and implementation of the conceptual and logical models for the data warehouse or data mart
- review and oversee physical database designs to ensure traceability with logical models
- develop logical and physical data models and meta models for metadata repository
- interview and interact with end users, software developers and database administrators
- design, maintain and improve data architecture
- conduct research into leading-edge solutions, monitor technology development and industry trends and take the lead in evaluating new services and techniques
- share technological trends and recommendations with colleagues, other domain architects and management
- act as the technical lead for data and modelling enhancements
- act as last line of defence in area of expertise; troubleshoot problems on complex technical platforms
- analyze and monitor system performance to identify major performance bottlenecks in the system and identify the impact of administration tasks on core business scenarios
- restore services as soon as possible; participate in root-cause analysis, and develop and implement permanent solutions to problems
- provide on-call support as required
- provide expert advice, guidance and knowledge sharing in modelling domain
- develop policies and standards for data analysis and modelling
- lead project efforts associated with database and middleware software
- evolve models to meet business requirements
- provide leadership in developing process for capturing and maintaining metadata from all data-warehousing components
- assist in the development of principles, policies and practices for ongoing life cycle management of the technology
- provide input to budgeting and planning as it relates to area of expertise
- evaluate third-party tools
- build and maintain positive long-term relationships with cross-functional teams, clients, strategic partners and vendors
- degree in computer science, mathematics or management of information systems, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- a minimum of five years of experience in data modelling and data analysis, covering both relational and multi-dimensional modelling, preferably implemented in an Oracle J2EE and/or SQL Server environment
- a minimum of five years of experience participating in application development projects or initiatives, ranging from six months to three years in duration
- a minimum of five years of hands-on experience with the following technologies:
- data modelling and query tools, preferably Embarcadero ER/Studio, ERwin or other
- SQL, preferably Oracle or MS SQL
- Oracle from 8x - 11g
- SQL Server 2000 and 2005
- English or French essential
- linguistic requirement: level 18 only: intermediate in second official language (training will be provided to help the selected candidate reach the required level of functional)
If you are a qualified candidate, please submit a detailed résumé and a covering letter by 27 February 2011. We will also ask you to complete a mandatory questionnaire during the application process.
- Condition of employment: Candidates must be eligible for reliability status clearance.
- Priority will be given to candidates who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- There will be no relocation assistance provided for this recruitment action.
- The work schedule is 37.5 hours per week.
- On-call work with the possibility of shift work or a variable schedule based on operational needs is required.
- We are committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from qualified men and women, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
- Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.