· Support and maintain in-house insurance applications
· Develop insurance applications and handle DBA responsibilities
· Support and maintain the insurance applications based on the priorities set by the Priority Committee or project team
· Participate in development projects as assigned. Ensure all deadlines in agreement with User Support are met in timely manner
· Communicate concisely and appropriately with User Support, end users and management.
· Provide technical opinions addressing concerns
· Assist with support of MS SQL Server
· Participate in planning, coordination, execution and documentation insurance application Disaster Recovery Exercises
· Review and improve disaster recovery documents of insurance applications; gather input from disaster recovery team members, modify as needed
· Maintain knowledge of development tools; Stay abreast of technological development to provide input contributing to I.T. decisions
· Assist, as needed with server related issues on the servers at which insurance application is housed
· Participate in planning, preparing and delivering needed training to other employees as assigned
· Provide responsive service to application users ensuring service quality standards are met
· Develop and maintain positive constructive relationships with staff
· Develop and maintain constructive relationships with service providers
· Undertake projects as required
· Maintain files, records and other information as required
· Prepare reports, information and presentations as required
· Undertake any other related duties
· A degree or diploma in Computer Science is preferred
· Minimum of three years experience with Java
· Experience with PowerBuilder is an asset
· Experience with analysis and design
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· An ability and willingness to learn
The Sovereign is one of the major insurers in Canada, dealing exclusively with independent brokers. It is also a member of The Co-operators Group of Companies, giving it access to resources one would expect from the leading Canadian-owned multi-product insurance company. The company emphasizes an innovative and entrepreneurial approach, endowing its staff with a sufficient level of authority to be responsive regionally to the needs of brokers and customers.
. To be the insurer of choice for our brokers
. We will be sought out for our ability to find solutions for the specialized and complex insurance needs of our brokers and their clients.
. Our people are our most important resource, the knowledge, expertise, creativity and empowerment of our insurance professionals will set us apart in the Canadian insurance industry.
. Our long term relationships with brokers who share our values will be a significant source of competitive advantage for our brokers and for The Sovereign.
. We will act as a catalyst for a sustainable society by providing innovative insurance solutions
This position will be advertised concurrently.